Friday, July 07, 2006

Chill out, and such

I had a dream last night where I was talking to an elementary school classmate. We weren't great friends, but we'd hang out at recess and play football or wallball or whatever. He and I were just catching up with one another, as if time was just smeared. Sure, I was 22 in the dream, but we were both just a stone's throw away from sixth grade.

And I said the standard rigamarole that I usually get into when I meet new people. "Yeah, I'm doing this art thing in New York. I also dance quite a bit, ya know, like street dancing." And then I do a quick mini demonstration of what Digitz looks like.

And in the dream, as these words pass my teeth, I become really displeased with myself; this is what happens to people when they are 22? How boring.

I'm not displeased because I happen to be doing the art thing in New York or because I dance on my spare time. I'm displeased because my conversation has become so damn predictable.

I then woke up and realized that lately I've been taking life way too seriously.

*****
In other related news, I have loads of time to read now that I live about fourty minutes away from work by subway. Awesome. I picked up my copy of _For the Time Being_, by Annie Dillard, who calculated that North America makes up about 4% of Earth's surface area. I checked on Wikipedia to see how USA matched up with the world: 1.8%.

*****
Back to taking life to seriously - I realized that the best way for me to not take everything so seriouly is to get back in my body. And now I can't help but identify things that force me away from my body.

Working on websites for example. My body is the root - the unseeable part that I must nourish and keep around so that my head and fingertips can dip into cyberspace to do work, to keep me nourished. That's where my source of energy is.

Also, the subway. Have you ever tried to be inside your body on a crowded train? It's really awkward because nobody is there with you. They're zoned out into their ipods or books or ideas or whatever. I started feeling embarrassed for everybody around me when I looked directly at them, as if my sense of being present was an invasion of their privacy. What funny creatures.

Protein bars are on sale downstairs for 25c apiece. I'm tempted to buy all of them at this price, but I think they're approaching their expiration date.

1 Comments:

Blogger David Blane said...

there is no expiration date for protein bars, and for 25 cents you could live like a king for years. (yes, I responded to the most trivial thing in your post... what?)

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home